When we talk about pesto we think about traditional pesto made with basil, pine nuts, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. But over time I have discovered that in fact you can make pesto with different kind of herbs, nuts, and even vegetables. Next time, I will give you other great combinations that I have tried. Stay tuned!
But let’s talk about this recipe of asparagus lemon pesto. My oldest son, who is not a big fan of green asparagus, likes this Asparagus Lemon Pesto 🙂
I love the vibrant green color of this pesto and the taste combination of the lemon and herbs. This pesto goes well with pasta.
In general, I do not use any nuts in my pesto but feel free to add some if you like them in your pesto.
I like to use my asparagus lemon pesto with pasta.
Asparagus Pesto Pasta
- 1 lbs asparagus end trimmed and cut in 1 inch
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from 1 organic lemon
- 1 or 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- a few leaves of fresh herbs such as basil, Italian parsley, thyme...
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil, or more as desired
- salt, pepper
- 1 lbs of your favorite pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and cook the asparagus until they are tender but not overcooked (3-4 min.).
- Save a few asparagus tips for later and put the rest of the asparagus in food processor.
- Add your favorite pasta in the salted water and cook them "al dente" according to the instructions on the package.
- In the food processor put the rest of the ingredients: garlic, onion, zest and juice of lemon, the fresh herbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Blend the ingredients until the texture starts to become smooth. Then, gradually add the olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain them well, and put the pasta in the bowl. Add the asparagus pesto. Mixed well. Then sprinkle the asparagus spears on the top of the bowl.
- Serve the pasta in the plate and add more Parmesan if you like.