Marble Cake (Marbré) is a famous classic French cake that sends me back to my childhood and I am sure I am not alone.
I remember during the week-end making this Marble Cake with my sister for the ”goûter” (snack time). It was always a surprise when I cut it out to see how the marbled design would be. Sometimes, we overcooked the cake or the batter overflowed. My brother always teased us about these failed cakes, but he was not the last one to savor them.
I took the recipe from Il était une fois la pâtisserie.
Marble Cake (Marbré)
- 120 g (8½ tbsp) butter at room temperature
- 140 g (¾ cup) sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3 organic eggs
- 160 g (1 ¼ cup) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 ml milk
- 20 g (4 tsp) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Mix together the butter and sugar until the mixture whitens.
- Add the eggs one by one and mix well after each egg is added.
- Add the sifted flour, the baking powder, the vanilla extract and the milk.
- Separate the batter in two equal parts and pour the cocoa powder in the second part. Mix well.
- Let the two batters rest in the fridge for 30 minutes minimum.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Butter and flour a cake pan (I used a 8.5 x 4.5 inch one). Pour half of the vanilla batter into the bottom of pan. Pour half of the chocolate batter, and again a layer of vanilla, and finally the rest of the chocolate batter. If you want less marbling, make only three layers.
- For thinner marbling, gently slide the blade of a knife along the two diagonals of the cake.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. After one hour, start to check the cooking every 5 minutes by planting a knife inside the cake. It should come out clean.
- Let it completely cool down before cutting it out.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Wooowww… I just came across this while looking for a marbré recipe. I live in Atlanta as well and I wanted a recipe in English because it i faster and easier to measure for me ! I’ll try this et je vous ferai connaître le résultat ! Je parle aussie français (ma première langue) 🙂 Merci beaucoup !!
Hi Lise, So happy to read this 🙂 Yes, please let me know how it turns for you. Merci d’avoir visité mon blog!