This post is also available in: Français
Veal is tender and delicate meat that we enjoy eating from time to time. One of our favorite dishes with veal is “Blanquette de Veau” ( Creamy French Veal Stew). But, the weather is not cold enough yet to make this famous hearty dish. I wanted something lighter.
When I saw the oranges in my fruit basket, I had the idea to use them in a meat-based stew. I also had some fennel to use. Fennel and orange is a well-known pairing, which led me to come up with this recipe of Veal Stew with Fennel and Orange in Instant Pot.
I am glad I made this recipe, as the fennel and oranges complement each other very well. They definitely add brightness and a depth of flavor to the dish, providing a mild tangy-sweet taste that my family enjoyed.
You can serve this dish with rice, steamed potatoes, or even pasta.
You may also like:
- Turkey Osso Buco in Instant Pot
- Boeuf Bourguignon in Instant Pot
- Chicken in Vinegar – Pressure Cooker
- Turkey Marengo Stew
- Basquaise Chicken – Pressure Cooker
- Lamb Tagine
Veal Stew with Fennel and Orange in Instant Pot
- 700-800 g veal stew or boneless veal shoulder roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 fennel trimmed and chopped
- 2 oranges (about 200 ml) juiced
- 100 ml white wine
- 100 ml chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2-3 sprig of thyme
- 1 2-inch snip of rosemary
- 1 bay leave
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, pepper
- Before starting, be sure to have all the ingredients ready. Pat the pieces of meat dry with a paper towel.
- On the Instant Pot, press the saute button, and adjust the heat to medium. Put in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When it is hot, add the veal and cook the meat until no longer pink (about 8-10 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Put the onion, garlic, carrot, fennel in the Instant Pot and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Add the wine, scraping off any brown bits from the bottom, and cook for 2 min. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for one minute. Pour the orange juice and the chicken broth, stir well, place the veal back with its juice in the pot with the thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Secure the lid and verify that the pressure valve is closed. Cook for 25 minutes at high pressure. Naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes, then open the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the herbs from the Instant Pot. Transfer the meat into a bowl. Sprinkle fresh parsley and serve with hot rice, steamed potato, or even orzo pasta.
- Use a dutch oven or a big saute pan with a lid instead. Follow all the directions.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 1 ½ hour until the meat is tender.